Current:Home > FinanceElon Musk’s refusal to have Starlink support Ukraine attack in Crimea raises questions for Pentagon -Capitatum
Elon Musk’s refusal to have Starlink support Ukraine attack in Crimea raises questions for Pentagon
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:58:58
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. (AP) — SpaceX founder Elon Musk’s refusal to allow Ukraine to use Starlink internet services to launch a surprise attack on Russian forces in Crimea last September has raised questions as to whether the U.S. military needs to be more explicit in future contracts that services or products it purchases could be used in war, Air Force Secretary Frank Kendall said Monday.
Excerpts of a new biography of Musk published by The Washington Post last week revealed that the Ukrainians in September 2022 had asked for the Starlink support to attack Russian naval vessels based at the Crimean port of Sevastopol. Musk had refused due to concerns that Russia would launch a nuclear attack in response. Russia seized Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and claims it as its territory.
Musk was not on a military contract when he refused the Crimea request; he’d been providing terminals to Ukraine for free in response to Russia’s February 2022 invasion. However, in the months since, the U.S. military has funded and officially contracted with Starlink for continued support. The Pentagon has not disclosed the terms or cost of that contract, citing operational security.
But the Pentagon is reliant on SpaceX for far more than the Ukraine response, and the uncertainty that Musk or any other commercial vendor could refuse to provide services in a future conflict has led space systems military planners to reconsider what needs to be explicitly laid out in future agreements, Kendall said during a roundtable with reporters at the Air Force Association convention at National Harbor, Maryland, on Monday.
“If we’re going to rely upon commercial architectures or commercial systems for operational use, then we have to have some assurances that they’re going to be available,” Kendall said. “We have to have that. Otherwise they are a convenience and maybe an economy in peacetime, but they’re not something we can rely upon in wartime.”
SpaceX also has the contract to help the Air Force’s Air Mobility Command develop a rocket ship that would quickly move military cargo into a conflict zone or disaster zone, which could alleviate the military’s reliance on slower aircraft or ships. While not specifying SpaceX, Gen. Mike Minihan, head of Air Mobility Command, said, “American industry has to be clear-eyed on the full spectrum of what it could be used for.”
As U.S. military investment in space has increased in recent years, concerns have revolved around how to indemnify commercial vendors from liability in case something goes wrong in a launch and whether the U.S. military has an obligation to defend those firms’ assets, such as their satellites or ground stations, if they are providing military support in a conflict.
Until Musk’s refusal in Ukraine, there had not been a focus on whether there needed to be language saying a firm providing military support in war had to agree that that support could be used in combat.
“We acquire technology, we acquire services, required platforms to serve the Air Force mission, or in this case, the Department of the Air Force,” said Andrew Hunter, assistant secretary of the Air Force for acquisition, technology and logistics. “So that is an expectation, that it is going to be used for Air Force purposes, which will include, when necessary, to be used to support combat operations.”
veryGood! (7999)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- The Supreme Court case that could impact the homeless coast-to-coast
- Adele calls out 'stupid' concertgoer for shouting 'Pride sucks' at her show: 'Shut up!'
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, a Texas Democrat, says she has pancreatic cancer
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Powerball winning numbers for June 1 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $171 million
- 2 dead, 7 injured after shooting at a bar in suburban Pittsburgh
- Inside Shiloh's Decision to Remove Brad Pitt's Last Name and Keep Angelina Jolie's
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Environmental activist sticks protest poster to famous Monet painting in Paris
Ranking
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Stanford reaches Women's College World Series semifinals, eliminates Pac-12 rival UCLA
- Swimmer Katie Ledecky on Chinese doping scandal and the Paris Olympics
- WNBA upgrades foul on Caitlin Clark by Chennedy Carter, fines Angel Reese for no postgame interview
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Tesla recalls over 125,000 vehicles over issue with seat belt warning system
- Hour by hour: A brief timeline of the Allies’ June 6, 1944, D-Day invasion of occupied France
- Florida eliminates Alabama, advances to semifinals of Women's College World Series
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
How to avoid this hidden summer health risk that affects 1 in 10 Americans
Austin Cindric scores stunning NASCAR win at Gateway when Ryan Blaney runs out of gas
Using Less of the Colorado River Takes a Willing Farmer and $45 million in Federal Funds
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Democrats wanted an agreement on using artificial intelligence. It went nowhere
Shooting at South Carolina block party leaves 2 dead, 2 wounded, police say
Florida Panthers return to Stanley Cup Final with Game 6 win against New York Rangers